Thursday, September 03, 2009

My Mother's Heart

Status Update: So, I went into the Long Beach Memorial Hospital a few days ago and found a handsome young doctor telling my mother to pack up and go home. Seems the Plavix - a blood thinner - that she's been on has to work its way out of her system before she can have any kind of heart surgery.

So, we are hanging around the old homestead waiting it out. I'm running errands, trying to wean mom off salty salad dressings and generally being there when needed. She is scheduled for valve replacement surgery on September 11th. (When folks comment on the auspicious date, she likes to point out that she'd had back surgery on Friday the 13th and things went fine.)

Cousin Linda and my brother, Robert, will be here for the surgery. I will head back home, as planned, on the 7th, then return again later this month to help with her recovery. I tease my brother that my shift will begin just as Mama Iva is getting her strength back so she'll keep me running around a lot more.

Thanks for all the prayers and warm wishes. We are all so lucky to have one another, no?

2 comments:

Fang Bastardson said...

Iva wish for my son's fourth birthday today, and that's that one of these years down the road, he'll get to meet your wonderful mom and enjoy one of her fabulous home-cooked Christmas dinners.
Much love to your Mom and you.

Heather Clisby said...

Awwww! That is a fine wish for your son.