Thursday, May 15, 2008

Spent

Life is relentless, is it not? Lately, I feel like a hamster on the spinning wheel. Only I am not making the wheel go, some 13-year-old boy is spinning it faster and faster for his own cruel amusement. If it's not work deadlines, visitors, houseguests, social obligations and creative commitments, then my body is breaking down but mostly, this has all been happening at once. Makes me feel old, defenseless and yes, spent.

I flew to LA last night and had hoped to grab some sleep on the plane. No such luck. I had two kids in front me who had never flown: "LOOK, MAMA! A CLOUD! I SEE HOUSES! ANOTHER CLOUD! WHERE ARE THE BIRDS, MAMA????? WHEN DO WE GO BACK TO THE AIRPLANE STATION???"

And then there was the 2-year-old directly behind me practicing her monotone humming and/or screaming fits while her father tried to tickle her into happiness, which most definitely did not work: "KOOTCHIE-KOO!!! KOOTCHIE-KOO!!!" coupled with "'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Holy fuck I was so tired, I wanted to cry too.

Kids are cute, don't get me wrong, but when you haven't slept in a week and are not related to them, they become less so. Combine that with that fact that you can only hear them and have no visual reference of said cuteness, they become strictly Enemies of Peace.

Then, I was picked up by that famous angel, Mama Iva, and whisked away to my childhood home where I dined on a solid Midwestern meal of roast chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. I tried to work, honest I did, and even sent a few purposeful emails to folks in China and Europe, just so they knew I still cared. I took numerous pills and elixirs to quiet my pounding headache but in the end, I just needed to fucking sleep.

I finally gave up, gave in and layed down. I slept for 12 hours and every so often, I would wake up and realize I was enjoying a long-awaited Sleep Fest. I would smile big and think, "Yay! I'm sleeping! This is so fun!" and then return to slumber. I must have done this three times. What a dork.

Today, for the first time in a long time, I feel well rested and there are no obvious maladies to speak of. Hopefully, I'll catch my breath today before it starts all over again tomorrow.

3 comments:

Kath said...

Deep restful sleep is not overrated.

When I fly, I SWEAR by Bose Noise Cancelling headphones....and a hoodie...baseball cap under the hoodie...and sunglasses.

That way no one can make eye contact with me and I can't hear anyone/anything other than my iPod which is cranked. Most of the time the flight crew has to shake me to wake me up, I am sleeping so soundly.

Kids have their place in society, but screaming on a plane in the row in front of / in back of you is not one of them.

Mama Iva's dinner sounded yummy!

Howard said...

You go get you even more sleep. And don't stop 'til you get enough.

I just quoted Michael Jackson, didn't I?

Heather Clisby said...

Kath: Yeah, I had earplugs and an eyemask but it wasn't enough. I keep thinking they need to create an All Kids Airline so I can actively avoid it.

Howard: I quote MJ all the time, that is, when I'm not "working day and night."